Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Stacked 1.10.06

This is something that i've been touching in on for a few days off and on but i have it here in phases so yay :) This piece is based on this image of Britney Murphy chosen by my beloved boyfriend.

Lineart:
The lineart here gave me one hell of a time. Most of the time I have a few problems but nothing major. I do the true-to-life lines and then, as I begin blocking in the color, i cut out some of the real aspects that make things not fun. That's when the boyfriend comes in :) "Too much breast, honey?"

For now, I ran into a lot of trouble. First of all, has anyone else noticed how abnormally large Britney Murphy's shoulders are? Cuz, lemmi tell you, I have. So, i had to compromise my original hair style concept (which was very pixie) and go for something longer - long enough to fall across her chest and hide the fact that she looks like a linebacker in lineart. Then came my true enemy - the face.

As I mentioned before, I don't watch anime, which means my visual exposure to anime faces is limited if not non-existent, so it's been a trial for me to learn how to create and proportion the faces and expressions. Particularly given that i'm trying to derive something that is, at least a little sexual rather than shocked, suprised, furious, determined, etc... Not much frame of reference for that in a show about 12 year old ninjas :) Well, except Temari, but this character doesn't seem quite as much like a dominatrix bitch so, ya know :) That, and I have a horrible predaliction toward the completely adorable. That will come in handy as hell when i'm trying to draw a shy, reserved and completely sexually defeated Hinata, but not so much here.



Color Blocking:
So the color blocking here seems to be going pretty well as I go through the process. While the lineart was mostly done a few days ago, I did finish out some of the features and the hair today, which left me with little more to do than color block.

I considered taking the skintone from the original image because I still haven't mastered the anime skintone but elected not to on the basis that she had a killer oompa loompa thing going on. I still went for a more orange tone than is usually used in anime but, after free-handing the choice, I think I did pretty well. It's still more intensely orange than they usually go with (a mystery to me since it seems that half of all anime characters look uniquely white. Who knows, anyway...) Still, she's color blocked.



I can't decide if i'm going to keep the bra-lines as they are or take them out entirely. It would give me some more skin to work with but, theoretically, i would need to change the shape of the breast and i'm quite happy with the way that it is right now. I suppose as the color's block in I will get a chance to decide whether or not I need the skin or not.

In the interim, however, the basic layers. The skin area (including that under the clothes) is being filled in. My intention is to go wtih a semi-transparent (or possibly fishnet) design on the clothing, which will give full clarity through to the skin beneath, making it entirely necessary to fill in the skin areas or I'll just have to do it later. I've also filled in the black bra beneath the clothing layer because that will come into play as well when the opacity is dropped on the clothing.

I do usually change my hair colors about four times before I settle on something. I've become determined to do two things. One is to use this pinky-purply color (that will become more inky black as the colors layer on) and the other is to figure out how to cell shade an icy grey-blue but, for today, i'll settle on my first goal :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home